As the end of the year approaches, dental offices begin the process of closing their fiscal year in Dentrix. The Dentrix Customer Support team wants to help make that process as easy as possible by providing some helpful advice and tips. This article provides information we have found to be helpful in addressing three common questions that frequently arise at this time of the year:
1. How do I close out the year? Are there special utilities or processes that I should run?
Dentrix does not require a special process for closing the year. All you have to do to close the year is to close the last month of the fiscal year. When you close the month (and, consequently, the year), current transactions and clinical notes are moved into history, account balances are aged, and insurance benefits are reset for those plans that need to be reset.
Keep the following in mind as you close the month:
2. What do I do with outstanding insurance claims from the previous year?
After you close the fiscal year, Dentrix detects all pending claims created during the previous year. When you post payments or adjustments to claims from the previous year, you have the option to apply them to the previous year or the current year. This option appears in the Total Insurance Payment dialog box, and it defaults to the previous year.
3. Which reports should I run to analyze the previous year?
The reports that we recommend you run at the end of the fiscal year are the same reports we recommend you run after you close each month. When you close the last month of the year, run the reports for that month, and then run them again for the entire year.
• Practice Advisor Report - Office Manager > Analysis > Practice Advisor
• Analysis Summary Report - Office Manager > Reports > Management > Analysis Summary
• Practice Analysis Report - Office Manager > Analysis > Practice, then from the File menu, click Print Analysis
• Production Summary Report - Office Manager > Analysis > Practice > Reports
• Adjustment Summary Report - Office Manager > Analysis > Practice > Reports
• Payment Summary Report - Office Manager > Analysis > Practice > Reports
• Aging Report - Office Manager > Reports > Ledger
• Insurance Aging Report - Office Manager > Reports > Ledger
Following the recommendations in this article will help simplify the work of closing the year and save you some time to enjoy the holidays.
To learn more about closing the year, see the “Running the month-end update” and “Running the Month End Wizard” topics in the Dentrix Help or visit the Dentrix Resource Center to view the “Year End Processes” webinar recording. If you are using Dentrix G6.5 or higher, the process to close the month has changed. Click here to watch how to close the month using the new Task Scheduler.