Set Up and Process Recurring Payments
Let’s face it, dental work can be an expensive investment for patients. In fact, the CDC reported in 2012 that cost is the number one reason patients refuse dental treatment. For patients, making a payment agreement is often a welcome alternative to paying the total bill all at once or forgoing treatment altogether.
But for the office, there is significant risk in financing patient treatment. Payment agreements charged to a credit card on a bi-weekly or monthly basis can be a happy medium that encourages patients to commit to treatment and decreases the financial risk for the office.
PowerPay gives the dental office the tools it needs to create recurring credit card payment agreements. With PowerPay, your office can create recurring payment agreements (called consents) and have payments charged to the patient’s card automatically, according to intervals you set. That way, you receive the full payment on time without making collection calls or waiting to receive payments from billing statements.
To create a consent for recurring payments using PowerPay:
- In the Dentrix Ledger, select a patient. Then click the PowerPay button to open PowerPay.
- In PowerPay, click Manage Consents from the Consents menu. The Active Consents screen appears.
- From the Actions menu, click New Consent. The New Consent dialog box appears with the patient’s name in the title bar.
- Swipe the patient’s credit card to fill in the Credit Card Information fields, or enter the information manually.
- In the Consent Information section, set the Interval type you want to use for consent authorization:
Set the recurring interval (Monthly, Semi-Monthly, Biweekly, Weekly):
- In the Total Amount field, enter the full amount of the balance that the patient plans to pay under this consent.
- In the Pmt Amount field, enter the amount of each recurring charge OR in the Total Pmts field, enter the total number of payments, and press the TAB key.
NOTE: PowerPay will automatically calculate the missing Pmt Amount or Total Pmts field, as well as the Remaining Amount, Final Pmt, and Remaining Pmt fields.
- In the First Pmt Due and Next Pmt Due fields, the current date will appear by default, but can be changed as needed.
- In the Transaction Information section:
- Select the (merchant) Account you want to assign to the transaction.
- Select a Permission option. Select Signature on File if the credit card owner is present with card in hand (this is automatically set for card-swiped transactions), or Verbal if the consent for processing is delivered over the phone or by mail.
- Set an appropriate Status.
- Click Print to print the patient consent form.
- Click OK to save the information.
- If you are using an ePad device to capture signatures, click OK after the cardholder has signed to save the signature.
- If you are using the Ingenico device to capture signatures, click Accept after the cardholder has signed to save the signature.
- Once created, the consent will be displayed in the drop-down list of Active Consents.
Once the consent has been created, you can process the payments when they are due (according to the interval you set).
- In PowerPay, from the Consents menu, click Process Due Consents. The Due Consents screen appears.
- From the Actions menu, click Select All or select the individual consent(s) you want to process.
- From the Actions menu, click the Process Consent button. Processing consents will initiate the credit card transaction and remove the due consent from the list.
- Consent payments made through PowerPay are automatically posted to the Ledger.
For more information on using PowerPay to process recurring charges, see knowledgebase article #59818 in the Dentrix Resource Center.Author: