Cross coding ICD-9-CM codes with AMA codes
Dentrix includes an exhaustive medical insurance cross coding system that allows you to quickly bill both medical and dental carriers for the same procedures. Cross coding medical insurance allows you to flag certain dental procedures as billable to medical insurance and to cross-code an ADA code with the appropriate AMA-CPT, ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM, Modifier, and Service codes. In addition, Dentrix lets you cross-code ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM diagnostic codes with their corresponding AMA code.
· Due to licensing issues with the American Medical Association, Dentrix does not come pre-loaded with the AMA-CPT, ICD-9-CM, modifier, and service codes. Instead, you can add these codes and then link the ADA code with its AMA code counterpart manually. You can get information on the codes and descriptions using reference books provided by the AMA. Please contact your local chapter of the AMA for assistance.
· If you do not want to spend the time researching, adding, and linking the medical codes in Dentrix, the Cross Coding DataPak, which adds all of the codes and links for you, is available for purchase. Please contact Dentrix at 1-800 Dentrix (1-800-336-8749) for more information on obtaining the DataPak.
To cross-code an ICD-9-CM code with an AMA code
1. In the Maintenance menu in the Office Manager, point to Practice Setup, and then click Medical Cross Coding Setup.
The Medical Cross Code Setup dialog box appears.
2. Click the AMA-CPT to ICD-9 Diagnostic Cross Coding tab.
All available AMA codes appear in the Select AMA-CPT Code pane.
3. Do one of the following:
· Type the appropriate AMA code in the Select AMA-CPT Code field.
· Select the appropriate AMA code from the list.
If you installed the Cross Coding DataPak, the ICD-9 diagnostic codes associated with the AMA-CPT code you selected appear in the Included ICD-9 Diagnostic Codes for AMA-CPT Code: [code] pane.
4. To add any other applicable ICD-9 diagnostic codes, do one of the following:
· Type the appropriate ICD-9 code in the Available ICD-9 Diagnostic field, and then click Add.
· Select the appropriate ICD-9 code from the Available ICD-9 Diagnostic list, and then click Add.
The ICD-9 code you selected appears in the Included ICD-9 Diagnostic Codes for AMA-CPT Code pane.
5. When you have finished cross coding, click Close, and then click Yes to save the changes.
6. Create a medical insurance claim.