Setting up AMA-CPT codes manually
Due to licensing issues with the American Medical Association, Dentrix does not come pre-loaded with the AMA-CPT codes. You must add these codes manually. You can get information on the codes and their descriptions using reference books provided by the AMA. Please contact your local chapter of the AMA for assistance.
Note: If you do not want to spend the time researching and adding the medical codes to Dentrix manually, the Medical Cross-coding DataPak, which adds all of the codes for you, is available for purchase. Please contact Dentrix at 1-800-Dentrix (1-800-336-8749) for more information on obtaining the DataPak.
To set up AMA-CPT codes manually
1. In the Maintenance menu in the Office Manager, point to Practice Setup, and then click Procedure Code Setup.
The Procedure Code Setup dialog box appears.
2. Click the AMA-CPT Codes tab.
3. Do one of the following:
· Type the AMA code and the description in the Code and Description fields respectively, and then click Add.
· Select an existing AMA code, type a new code and/or description in the Code and Description fields respectively, and then click Change.
Note: You can add up to a total of 579 AMA codes.
4. Repeat the process for any other AMA codes that you need to add or change.
5. To delete an AMA code, select it, and then click Delete.
Note: Once you add the medical codes, you must link the ADA code with its AMA code counterpart. For more information, see Cross-coding ADA codes with AMA-CPT codes.