Setting up modifier codes manually
Due to licensing issues with the American Medical Association, Dentrix does not come pre-loaded with the modifier codes. You must add these codes manually. You can get information on the codes and their descriptions using reference books provided by the AMA. Please contact your local chapter of the AMA for assistance. You are not required to provide modifier codes to complete a medical insurance form.
· If you do not want to spend the time researching and adding the medical codes to Dentrix, the Medical Cross-coding DataPak, which adds all of the codes for you, is available for purchase. Please contact Dentrix at 1-800-Dentrix (1-800-336-8749) for more information on obtaining the DataPak.
· Modifier codes include non-physician services, items, and supplies not covered by CPT codes.
To set up modifier codes manually
1. In the Maintenance menu in the Office Manager, point to Practice Setup, and then click Procedure Code Setup.
The Procedure Code Setup dialog box appears.
2. Click the Modifier Codes tab.
3. Do one of the following:
· Type the modifier code and the description in the Code and Description fields respectively, and then click Add.
· Select an existing modifier code, type a new code and/or description in the Code and Description fields respectively, and then click Change.
Note: You can add a total of 29 modifier codes.
4. Repeat the process for any modifier codes that you need to add or change.
5. To delete a modifier code, select it, and then click Delete.
Note: Once you add the medical procedure codes, you must link the ADA procedure code with its AMA procedure code counterpart. For more information, click Cross coding ADA codes with AMA-CPT codes.